Thursday, April 12, 2007

You Don't Love Me Yet-Jonathan Lethem

I finally finished You Don't Love Me Yet. It was somewhat of a letdown. It was a comedy that wasn't terribly funny. It was a book about bands that wasn't all that interesting in terms of the band. It suffered from the all-too-common problem of men writing with a female as the protagonist. This, in and of itself isn't always terrible. However, when female protagonists written by men are involved in sexual situations, it can, and usually does, get awkward. I am not female expert and I don't know how Heidi Julavits and other female friends of Mr. Lethem and their sex lives are like, but from what I can tell, Mr. Lethem does not understand female sexuality all that well.

The reading I went to included a discussion about the writing process of the book. He said that he cut 60-70 pages at the last moment...and thank god for that.

I have heard almost nothing but good things about Mr. Lethem's books. I only wish that this was not my introduction to him. I expect Motherless Brooklyn and Fortress of Solitude are going to be as great as they are built up to be...I hope so after the disappointing novel I just finished...

No comments: